Keep your Spine Healthy this Summer
The summer months bring warmth, sunshine, and ample opportunities to indulge in outdoor activities. It’s a time when we can fully embrace nature and enhance our overall well-being. However, it’s important to prioritise our health and take care of our bodies during this season. In this blog, we will explore essential tips for staying healthy and active during the summer months, including ways to stay hydrated, exercises to improve balance, and advice on sun safety.
- Stay Hydrated: With the rise in temperatures, it’s crucial to stay hydrated to maintain optimal health and well-being. Here are some tips to ensure you stay adequately hydrated:
- Drink plenty of water: Make it a habit to carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day. If you engage in outdoor activities or exercise, increase your water intake accordingly.
- Include hydrating foods: Foods like watermelon, cucumbers, oranges, and berries have high water content and can contribute to your daily hydration needs. Enjoying these refreshing fruits and vegetables can also provide essential vitamins and minerals.
- Limit caffeinated and sugary beverages: Beverages such as soda, energy drinks, and excessive amounts of coffee can dehydrate your body. Chose healthier alternatives like herbal teas, infused water, or coconut water.
- Exercise for Balance and Agility: Engaging in exercises that improve balance and agility is beneficial for your overall physical well-being. Here are some activities you can try:
- Yoga: Practicing yoga not only enhances flexibility and strength but also improves balance and stability. Incorporate poses like Tree Pose, Warrior III, and Eagle Pose to challenge your balance and build core strength.
- Tai Chi: This ancient Chinese martial art focuses on slow, controlled movements that promote balance, flexibility, and mental relaxation. Join a local Tai Chi class or follow instructional videos online to experience its numerous benefits.
- Balance training exercises: Simple exercises like standing on one leg, heel-to-toe walking, or using a balance board can help improve your balance over time. Incorporate these exercises into your fitness routine for better stability and coordination.
- Sun Safety: While enjoying the sunshine, it’s crucial to protect your skin and stay safe from harmful UV rays even in the UK! Follow these guidelines for optimal sun safety:
- Apply sunscreen: Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and apply it generously on all exposed skin. Reapply every two hours, especially if you’re swimming or sweating.
- Seek shade: During peak sun hours (generally between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.), find shade or create your own by using umbrellas or hats. This helps minimize direct exposure to the sun and reduces the risk of sunburn.
- Wear protective clothing: Opt for lightweight, breathable clothing that covers your arms and legs. Don’t forget to wear a wide-brimmed hat and UV-protective sunglasses to shield your face and eyes.
- Stay hydrated: Sun exposure can lead to dehydration. Drink water regularly to maintain proper hydration levels while spending time outdoors.
Embracing the summer months with a focus on wellness is an excellent way to make the most of the season. By following these tips for staying healthy and active, you can ensure that you’re nourishing your body, improving your balance and agility, and protecting yourself from the sun’s harmful rays. Remember to listen to your body, stay hydrated, and enjoy the sunshine responsibly. Have a happy and healthy summer!